The Board for Missions has always been a robust force in the mission and ministry of St.
John’s Lutheran Church. With direction and encouragement from the board, St. John’s
has been an integral part of:
The Board for Missions continues to seek opportunities to share Gospel here and
abroad. Current work includes support for:
The Board for Missions is excited to announce its partnership with Lutheran World
Relief for a Lenten project that will touch the lives of many throughout the world with
Personal Care Kits. Please participate with us in making Personal Care Kits for people
in need who are besieged by the results of poverty, civil war, and natural disasters.
A: INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING IN EACH PERSONAL CARE KIT
• ONE light-weight bath-size towel (between 20” x 40” and 52” x 27”), dark color
• TWO or three bath-size bars of soap equaling 8 to 9 oz. any brand, in original
• ONE adult-size toothbrush in its original packaging. Toothbrush multi-packs may
be used by sealing an individual toothbrush in a business-size envelope; no
plastic bags or wrap
• ONE sturdy comb, remove packaging
• ONE metal nail clippers (attached file optional), remove packaging
B: SOME IMPORTANT GUIDELINES TO REMEMBER
• Be sure to shop for light- or medium-weight towels, which are easier for Kit
recipients to hand wash and air dry, take up less storage space and considerably
less expensive than the fluffier towels we may prefer to use.
• Bath towels vary in size. The 52” X 27” size listed in the guidelines is the
maximum size. 20” x 40” is a good guideline for a minimum size.
• Please do not donate items with any religious symbols, messages or your
• Please do not donate any items decorated with a U.S. flag, patriotic or military
symbols, or references to the armed forces, including camouflage.
• Do not add other items or leave out any of the items listed.
• All items should be new and in good condition.
• Do not enclose the Kit or any of its contents in plastic bags.
C: HOW TO PACK YOUR PERSONAL CARE KITS
1. Fold the towel in half.
2. Place the rest of the items in the towel.
3. Fold and roll so nothing falls out.
4. Secure with yarn, ribbon, string or rubber bands.
Delivery of your personal Care Kits will be easy. Just bring them to St. John’s on any
Sunday before or right after worship. Drop them off at the Welcome Table when worship
is outside or place in the boxes by the church when worship is only streamed or is in the
church. In addition, we will have two additional drop off dates when the office foyer will
be open for drop off kits in the boxes. Dates and times are:
• Monday, March 1 from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
• Monday, March 29 from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
The Ventura County Area Agency on Aging (VCAAA) continues to seek letters of
support and encouragement as part of the Letters of Support Campaign, which was
launched in September in partnership with Meals on Wheels America. This campaign is
designed to provide older adults and people with disabilities living in Ventura County
with letters or cards and a message of encouragement and support.
Letters may be mailed to 646 County Square Drive, Suite 100, Ventura, Ca. 93003.
Please notate Letters of Support Campaign on the envelope. All letters will be reviewed
and then delivered with food boxes from the VCAAA’s COVID-19 pantry. For more
information, visit www.vcaaa.org or call (805) 477-7300.
We continue to collect food pantry items which benefit our brothers and sisters at
Centro Cristiano Redwoods (Oxnard), ministry to local Mixteco friends, and others in
need in our community. Drop off donations at the welcome table at all worship times.
If church worship is not in person, please contact the church office for a delivery time.
We can always use these non-perishable foods:
Each year St. John's gives shoeboxes filled with gifts to Samaritan's Purse, for Operation Christmas Child. From the shoebox packers who pray for the boys and girls who will receive their gifts to the local teachers who pray for the children who attend The Greatest Journey discipleship classes, prayer is key to the work of Operation Christmas Child. This is an amazing opportunity to spread the Good News and Great Joy.
Discover how Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child shoebox gifts lead to evangelism, discipleship, and the multiplication of believers and churches.